-Enlisted persons under the rank of E-4 must always live in dormitories on base in which they have a room and have to share a bathroom with at least one other person. Kind of like a college dorm room you may have lived in as a freshman. That is unless they are married.
-Officers on the other hand can live off base as they choose, especially when you are a junior officer that is single because typically there are not really any Unaccompanied Officer Quarters available on Air Force bases. When you live off base you get Basic Allowance for Housing which varies by location.
HOWEVER, officers attending pilot training are required to live in Unaccompanied Officer Quarters or the officer dorms at their pilot training base unless for some reason none are available or they are married and have brought their spouse with them.
-When you live on base you do not get any BAH, however you never have to pay rent or an electricity or water bill. You do however have to pay for your own cable/internet/phone bill if you choose to get those services.
Now that I have given you a general overview of things I will go into my situation.
I arrived on base on 29th of April, on the 30th I went to the housing office to see about getting me moved into the officer dorms. The manager had me fill out a few forms and told me to come back the following afternoon to assign me a room and give me the key.
So the next day I went back to his office and signed a few more forms, standard stuff when you move into an apartment or dorm room and he took me over to my unit. The units here are pretty much like studio apartments, which is pretty much enough for one person living here for a year or a little more. Overnight guests are never allowed due to the liability of leaving a non military member on base unaccompanied and such.
I have a small open concept kitchen that is open to a breakfast bar and the main room, complete with a refrigerator, small range/oven, and dual basin sink. No dishwasher :(
Off of the bedroom there is a bathroom which is open to a sink area with mirror and medicine cabinet and then there is a standard tub/shower combo and toilet.
Also included is a outside storage locker which is pretty large, I think, in a small room just outside my door. To access this you must enter a small room and there are 4 lockers for each unit on the floor. You must provide your own lock.
Here are some more pictures after I moved most of my stuff in/rearranged the room a bit.











No comments:
Post a Comment